I absolutely adore popcorn, but I can’t stand all of the added preservatives, synthetic dyes and artificial flavouring that come along with it. This homemade popcorn is a healthy alternative to cozy up with on a movie night in with your loved ones!
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- butter and sea salt to taste (optional)
- Place a medium sized pot over medium heat and allow it to warm up.
- Once warm, add coconut oil and let melt.
- Add popcorn kernels and bring heat up to medium-high, gently shaking the pot every so often to evenly distribute heat to all of the kernels.
- Once the kernels start popping shake more frequently to discourage popped kernels from getting burnt onto the bottom of the pot.
- When the popping starts to slow, remove from heat and place the popcorn in a bowl.
- Add butter and sea salt to taste.
- For a vegan alternative try topping with coconut oil!
* These measurements are approximate, bigger and smaller batches can easily be made by reducing or increasing the size of pot and ingredients. General rule of thumb is to fill the pot no more than 1 layer of kernels deep. This is to assure that the heat will be evenly distributed throughout the kernels as to promote popping and reduce waste.